Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Healthy and Fit Week: Clear Your Mind

Woman Bathing, Andy Lloyd

When I start to get an unwieldy amount of stress coming my way there are a few tell tale signs that happen in case I wasn't already excruciatingly aware of my heightened cortisol levels. The first sign for minor stress is my eyebrows start itching-- weird I know, but usually it's fleeting. It's when the stress worsens that my eyes will start twitching in a sort of evil WWE wrestling tag team fashion which is very annoying and only adds to my anxiety. When it's really bad I'll start having nightmares and trouble sleeping and will have a feeling like I'm floating through a dull haze. Usually this happens when I'm having trouble accepting a situation for what it is, especially when I feel like I have no control over it.Whether it's good or bad stress my mind will race a thousand miles a second with thought after thought popping in and dashing out like little whac-a-moles. It becomes hard to focus and suddenly even the little things seem overwhelming and impossible. 

So when the proverbial poo begins to hit the fan or I'm overwhelmed with a barrage of "million dollar ideas" I hit the spa...well, sort of. Really I turn on the heating fan in my postage stamp of a bathroom and pour about half a bottle of bubble bath into a tub that's slightly too short for my height then indulge in a nice hour long warm bath. Sometimes I'll read a book or some old magazines. Sometimes I sing. Sometimes I just play in the bubbles with my rubber ducky (yes I have one. I'm grown, I do what I want.) The object is to chill out and clear my head. That way I when I towel off and lotion up I can attack my problem(s) with a fresh perspective and newly restored calmness.
 ...a few of my favorites that help make relaxation time at home a little bit better...
Champney's products can be found at Target stores in the U.S. All other products shown here can be found at each brand's website: Bath and Body Works | Lush | Dove

We've all read how horrible it is to be in a constant state of stress and that it can lead to severe weight gain/loss, sleeplessness, heart attacks, hormonal imbalances, hair loss, and a host of other health horrors but this doesn't have to be. Find your stress free zone whether it be in the bath like me, a walk on a quiet street, hitting it hardcore at the gym, or gabbing it up with your best friend over dinner. It doesn't have to cost a lot of money (which can add to your stress) and it doesn't have to be scheduled in advanced. Just remember to keep the remedy a healthy positive one and if you feel that nothing you do gives you relief please, please call a professional (doctor, teacher, therapist, counselor, pastor, priest, rabbi, imam, etc...) who can help you. There is no reason to go through life playing whac-a-mole when you don't want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment