Wednesday, October 10, 2012

How 'Bout Them Apples?



An apple a day keeps the...well, you know the rest, and probably other variations of it, too.

Growing up, I wasn't so fond of apples. Oranges, bananas, blackberries, strawberries, plums, lemons, anything but an apple. Unless they were served with caramel or cooked in cinnamon and sugar, that is. So I was a little slow on the uptake as far as the benefits of apples outside of the general understanding that apples = healthy. And I was happy with my alternatives.
 
Eventually, I began munching on the fruit, but was very picky about it. (No red apples!) But once I made the decision to change my eating habits, I worked them in more. As a cookie monster, this video kind of put things into perspective:



But apples are great for so many other things, too! This article from Best Health lays it all out, but I'll post a quick list here:
 
 
15 Health Benefits of Eating Apples
  1. Get whiter, healthier teeth
  2. Avoid Alzheimer’s
  3. Protect against Parkinson’s
  4. Curb all sorts of cancers
  5. Decrease your risk of diabetes
  6. Reduce cholesterol
  7. Get a healthier heart
  8. Prevent gallstones
  9. Beat diarrhea and constipation
  10. Neutralize irritable bowel syndrome
  11. Avert hemorrhoids
  12. Control your weight
  13. Detoxify your liver
  14. Boost your immune system
  15. Prevent cataracts
I'm still pretty picky about them, however, Granny Smith apples are my favorite. Princess apples are good, too! Gala? Not so much. Check out the article to get the details on the list, and why not have an apple while you read?

Photo credit: Inquisitr

3 comments:

  1. Have you tried Honey Crisp apples? Those are my favorite, but sometimes they're a little hard to find. They taste amazing, though! Apples are definitely not my favorite fruit either. "Red Delicious" are my absolute least favorite, but they are good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't, but I like the sound of it! I'll have to see if I can find them around here. Maybe a produce stand? By the way, I'm with you on the Red Delicious.

      Thanks for stopping by our little corner!

      - Britt

      Delete
  2. Apples are so good. This makes me want to eat an apple a day for sure.

    ReplyDelete