Monday, October 8, 2012

Through the 30-Day Shredder


Last summer, I did Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred, needing a jump start in my workout routine. I'd been going to the gym and doing my own thing for a while, but hit a wall and started feeling discouraged. I wasn't sure about workout DVDs, despite the days of my youth spent doing the exercises on my mom's Taebo and aerobics VHS tapes. Essentially the same thing, right? Back then I was just bored. This hesitation stemmed from knowing I wasn't just playing around anymore. I wanted actual results.
 

Military press with leg extension
Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred is a month-long workout system with three levels of three circuits--Strength, Cardio, Abs. It's heavy on squats, lunges, and jumping (plyometrics); so if you've got bad knees, modify the exercises so you don't hurt yourself. The first time I did it, I had been more worried about my ankles, but by the end was surprised to find my knees needed a break!
 
You will sweat, you will be uncomfortable, you might even feel like a loser--I could have sworn my balance was a lot better until I almost tipped over doing pendulum lunges--but you'll feel great afterwards without losing too much time out of your day! (Each workout is only around twenty minutes long.)
 
I suggest using three pound weights during the workout. Five is fine (I use them), but it does make some of the moves more challenging for a first-timer since you'll typically run through each move twice. Also, a yoga mat might be handy if you want to avoid sliding too much or rug burn on your elbows, but that might have been my inexperience showing.
 
Alternating punches
The 30 Day Shred is good for a temporary change in your workout regime, but I wouldn't use it to replace other exercise. Changing it up is always good. Do it for thirty days and then move on. Revisit it later if you want, but try some other DVDs, run, bike, or hit the gym before you do. Don't forget to be mindful of the food you're eating, too! Working out won't do nearly as much if you're not eating reasonably. I don't diet, but I do watch what I eat. That doesn't mean I don't cheat, I'm a sugar fiend, but I try not to be excessive.

The first time around, I lost a few inches all over. I don't weigh myself, but I do take my measurements, choosing to gauge my weight loss on the way my clothes fit rather than a number on a scale.
 


Here's the deal:
I'm starting the 30 Day Shred again today. I've been doing it on and off the past month or so, just to get in a workout, but it's time for me to get back to it the right way to once again jump start my regular exercise routine. On November 12, I will post another picture in the same outfit so you can see the results.

 


If you've ever done one of Jillian's 30 Day workout systems, why not leave a comment below letting us know how you liked it?
 
--
 
Check it! I have a Fitblr (Tumblr + Fitness), that you can see here: Blissful & Curvy. It's encouraging healthy weight loss methods and there are some workouts and nutrition tips I've reblogged from other lovely folks. It's still fairly new, but every so often, I'll post my progress, too.
 
Happy Healthy & Fit Week!

No comments:

Post a Comment