Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Once Upon a Time a Strange Addiction


Jennifer Morrison as Emma Swan our heroine

Claire here with a few questions for you! First, do you like mysteries? What about adventure stories? Fairytales? How about gorgeous costumes? Well, if you don't, you will, and you can blame Britt for your new found craziness. Yes, I blame her for all of this. She made me this way. We both have Netflix and one day she said, "You should watch this show on Netflix. I think you'd like it." This isn't the first time she's gotten me obsessed over something after saying seemingly innocuous words such as those. I should know better by now, but alas...I could tell you all about my K-Drama fascination that's also her fault but that's for a later post. This time she made me a crazy-eyed Netflix zombie after mentioning Once Upon A Time,  a story about our favorite fairytale and storybook characters being stuck in our modern world, and it's good. Really good. Watch that and then try not to give her a dirty look for making you a crazy person, too.

Ginnifer Goodwin as Snow White and one seriously bad apple played by Lana Parilla
Henry the boy who believes, played by Jared Gilmore
Now, if you can watch all 22 episodes of Season One at one time, don't do it. Just pace yourself. Oh, you'll be tempted to race right through them, but trust me, it's better for your health and social life if you aren't stuck on the couch for the better part of a day. It will be hard, though, since you'll be guessing which character is which from the storybooks and hooked on every episode cliffhanger ending. Since the show comes on ABC, which is a Disney-owned company, you'll see nods to famous Disney animated films and characters, especially in the costume design, but that's about where the similarities end. The creators of this show really have turned Fairytale Land on its head, a concept we've seen before; but trust me, you won't get tired of this new retelling. My favorite parts of the show are the ones that take place in the storybook world because I'm a costume and fairytale freak and this show does more than whet my appetite for it. Lucky for me, Britt turned me on to this show in time for me to watch all of Season One to be ready for the start of Season Two, which aired this past Sunday.

Tony Amendola as Gepetto
Red played by Meghan Ory and Granny played by Beverly Elliot
Prince Charming played by Josh Dallas

So quick! If you haven't gotten the chance and you wanna get hooked, it's not too late. You've been warned, but that's okay, we can all give Britt dirty looks together. Trust me, she won't mind, she'll be too busy watching too.

Once Upon A Time airs Sundays on ABC. Check your local listings for times.

Photo credit: IMDb

No comments:

Post a Comment